• December 28Raffle tickets are on sale at all home basketball games for $10.

• December 28The next PTSA meeting will be held Tuesday, Jan. 15, 2019 at Cleveland in Room 1162.

October 2018 Meeting Minutes

Terri Hansen, PTSA Secretary

Cleveland STEM High School PTSA
Meeting Minutes
October 16, 2018
6-7:15 p.m.

Principal Breland’s Report
• School administration is working with a deceased student’s family to schedule a memorial to be held at the school.
• Thank you to parents and students who attended Eagle Night on October 11, 2018. Staff is reviewing feedback forms with suggestions for improvements.
• Picture retakes are scheduled for November 17, from 10 am to 1 pm. Picture packets must be returned to exchange for retakes. A $5 fee will be charged for new photos for school ID cards.
• Homecoming is on October 19. CHS plays Lakeside Football at 6 pm at Lakeside, with the Homecoming Dance from 8 to 11:30 pm at the CHS gym.
• The Building Leadership Team (BLT) needs parent voices. Meetings occur on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month. The next meeting will be held on November 6 at 3:45 pm. Erin B. and Cristi D. will represent the PTSA.
• CHS will again be recognized as a School of Distinction Award Winner, for the past 5 years in a row! Currently 890 students are enrolled at CHS.

Funding Request
• Dr. Grant Storey submitted a request for the PTSA to supplement half of the application cost for 16 students in the University of Washington Biology 100 class who need of financial aid for the college credit registration fee. This class is taught by CHS teachers at CHS, but students who register and complete the course with a 75% or higher receive 5 general distribution credits that transfer to most universities and colleges. The registration is $365.
• Dr. Storey exhausted all other funding options prior to the registration deadline of October 26, 2018, and is coming to the PTSA as a last resort.
• After additional questions and discussion, Cristi D. made a motion to fund the request, which was seconded by Laura L.
• ACTION: The request was approved on a one-time basis with the following vote: 7 to approve, 1 abstention, 1 against.
PTSA Membership
• 28 members are needed to be considered in good standing with the National PTSA. Only a few members have signed up and paid the membership fee ($15 individual/$30 family) so far. Please sign up as soon as possible.

Budget
• Records are transferring to the current Treasurer. PTSA checking and savings accounts hold just over $40,000.
Announcements
• Sophomores have an all-day field trip on October 30.
• Parents can subscribe to weekly/monthly bulletins from the school.
• CHS seeks calculators for students to use during testing.
• CPub hears on November 3 whether students have won for work in the categories of Story of the Year and Editorial of the Year.
• Save May 4 for the Annual CHS Auction. PTSA seeks help with procurement. Please contact the PTSA if you can help and/or if you have a contact for a business or service that is willing to provide a donation. [email protected]
• Raffle ticket sales for the car and other items will begin in early November. Only PTSA members can sell tickets, so please sign up.
• Fun fact: Out of 51 CHS teachers, 17 are persons of color.
• Next meeting on Tuesday November 20 from 6-7:15 pm.

About the Writer
Terri Hansen, Secretary

Terri Hansen is the PTSA secretary. Her son, Noa, is a senior.